I am thrilled to announce that I secured media credentials to Tales of the Cocktail, the annual festival/conference of cocktails, cuisine and New Orleans culture, July 8-12, and I managed to get a room at the (supposedly sold out) Hotel Monteleone.
This will be my first trip to the Big Easy, I know nobody there, and I will likely be going alone unless my sister manages to get the Ice Man to send her along.Â If you have any thoughts on what I need to see while I am there, please chime in with suggestions in the comments section at the bottom of this page.
Brief overview for those unfamiliar with TotC:
“The event brings together the best and brightest of the cocktail communityâ€”award-winning mixologists, authors,Â bartenders and chefsâ€”for a five-day celebration of the history and the craft of the cocktail. This year, the most spirited event of the summer invites everyone to â€œStir Your Soulâ€ with a spirited series of dinners, cocktail demos, tastings, competitions, seminars, book signings, tours and special events all perfectly paired with some of the best cocktails ever made.
To put the event in quantifiable terms you can taste, Tales of the Cocktail 2008 used 85 pounds of mint leaves, 40 pounds of super-fine sugar, 280 liters of lime juice, 350 liters of lemon juice, 1815 lime wedges, 2115 lemon twists, 2340 jalapeÃ±o slices, 50 pounds of ginger root, 12 pounds of cherries and satisfied the taste buds of thousands of cocktail lovers from across the world.”
I am looking forward to learning for personal enlightenment/intoxication and of course I will be sharing my experience with all of you (Hi Mom!) If you will be there and want to meet up, or just want to be jealous of all the fun I will be having, here is my itinerary:
- 7/7/2009 21:00-23:30Â Â Â Secrets of Benedictine
- 7/8/2009 14:30-16:00Â Â Â Teaching Technique: Improving Cocktails by Uplifting Your Staff’s Skills
- 16:30-18:00Â Â Â The Fine Art of Banging Out the Drinks like a Maniac
- 18.30-21.00Â Â Â Tales of the Cocktail Welcome Reception Presented By Beefeater Gin
- 21.00-24.00Â Â Â The Hendrick’s Enchanted Portal to the Peculium
- 7/9/2009 10.30-12.00Â Â Â Mixologists and Their Toys
- 12.30-14.00Â Â Â The Molecular DNA of Classic Cocktails
- 14.30-16.00Â Â Â From Brewer to Distiller
- 16.30-18.00Â Â Â Creative Mixology: Finding Inspiration in the Everyday
- 17.30-19.30Â Â Â Cocktail Carnival Happy Hour
- 22.30-24.30Â Â Â Mischieve in the Garden of Agave
- 7/10/2009 14.40-16.00Â Â Â Sugar: The Science of Sweet
- 16.40-18.00Â Â Â The Fine Art of Tending Bar
- 22.00-01.00Â Â Â Birth of the Daiquiri
- 19.00-20.30Â Â Â Grand Marnier and NavanÂ presents On The Fly Competition
- 21.00-22.30Â Â Â Leblon Cachaca Presents the USBG Caipirinha Competition
- 7/11/2009 24.00-02.00Â Â Â Grey Goose Tasting dans le Noir
- 10.30-12.00Â Â Â Secrets to Successful Cocktail Photography
- 12.30-14.00Â Â Â Carnivorous Cocktails
- 14.40-16.00Â Â Â Hammer of the Gods
- 16.30-18.00Â Â Â Agavepalooza-Spirit of Mexico: The Agave Elixirs
- 18.00-20.30Â Â Â Seven Deadly Sins
- 20.30-23.30Â Â Â Spirit Awards Presented by Pernod Ricard USA
- 23.30-02.30Â Â Â Audrey & Simon’sÂ Bartenders Breakfast 2009 The Masquerade Breakfast Ball
- 7/12/2007 10.30-12.00Â Â Â Buddy, Are Your Bitters Better?
- 12.30-14.00Â Â Â Asian Influenced Cocktails
- 14.30-16.00Â Â Â Beer Garden
Let me know if you have any burning questions for the cocktail elite.Â What have you been wondering?