Have I ever mentioned that I’ve mapped out the concept for my first cocktail bar?Â As incredibly pretentious as it sounds, the theme is Freudian, fin-de-siecle Vienna, but way more fun and playful than that makes it seem.
I won’t get into it more than that, because I have surely horrified you, but one of my favorite bar snacks from when I lived in Austria, which will certainly be on the menu, is Liptauer, a zesty cheese spread that’s easy to make in advance, and can be served simply.
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 4 tablespoons capers
- 8 gherkins, chopped
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons course-ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a food processor, whip the cream cheese and cottage cheese until very smooth.
- Add everything but the oil and last 1/2 teaspoon paprika, and blend to incorporate.
- Transfer the spread to a quart-size bowl or a half-dozen ramekins.
- Drizzle the oil over the top and slap some plastic wrap over it and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Serve cold with crisp bread or crackers and more gherkins. Some people like a little red onion as well.