Recipe: Pear Shallot JamJanuary 5, 2009
The office network went down around noon today and boss-man let us hit the bricks a little after 2:00. No way was IT on top of their game today. On the way home I stopped at the local organic grocery and grabbed the dollar forty-nine discount bag of gorgeous, yet supposedly past its prime fruit and a loaf of bread. A cheese plate was was calling my name, so I busted out the insanely sharp cheddar and maple syrup I brought back from VT and made myself a snack. Here’s the highlight. It doesn’t make a lot, just enough for a cheese plate.
- 1 Shallot, diced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small pear, roughly the size of a chicken egg, cored and diced
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- A pinch of salt
- 1 allspice berry
- 2/3 cups water
- Over medium heat, add the butter to a small, heavy skillet and cook the shallot for five minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer, covered for 20-30 minutes, until everything is soft and the liquid has evaporated (you know, like jam).
- Squish with a fork to the desired consistency and serve with cheese, honey or maple syrup and bread or crackers.