I love Brussels sprouts, but I was getting a little bored with the usual preparations. Here’s the alternative.
1/2 pound bacon
1 pound brussels sprouts
2 large shallots
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons maple syrup
salt and pepper
1 pomegranate (optional)
- In a large saute pan, cook the bacon until crispy, remove to a cutting board (don’t drain) and dice.
- Pour off the bacon fat and wipe out the pan with a paper towel, but don’t wash.
- Cut off the stem end of the brussels sprouts and place any loose leaves into a large mixing bowl.
- Slice the brussels sprouts thin with a knife or with mandolin, peel shallots and slice into the thinnest rings possible and add both to the bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil and maple syrup into the bowl and toss everything to coat evenly.
- Return pan to high heat until almost smoking.
- Working in small batches, fry sprouts, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Plate sprouts in a mound and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.